Copyright

Please respect that the author's entires and photographs are copyrighted. You are welcome to provide a link to this blog, but don't take this as your own. Piper appreciates your cooperation.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Attack of the Umbrellas

I'll very likely be going back and forth with some of my "Piper tales." Not long after we got Piper, we had a morning when it was raining really hard. My husband and I walked down to the barn carrying our umbrellas. Piper saw us and her reaction was like what you would see from a cartoon character - she startled, her legs went out in all directions, her eyes got big, and she stared like she couldn't believe what she was seeing. She  didn't move a muscle. Yes, to her it was like a spaceship had landed from Mars! Of course, by now my husband and I are laughing like you wouldn't believe. It's my guess she had never seen an umbrella before. She now tolerates umbrellas just fine so she is a quick study!

The other side of the story about rain is that I don't think she ever had a stall before. Our barn opens to the pasture so we leave her stall door open so she can go in and out as she pleases. There is also a large overhang on the barn roof so there are plenty of places to stay dry. Until recently, if it rained, she stayed out in the pasture and stood in the rain - even if it was pouring, cold, or the rain lasted all day. She would look so pitiful, all wet and cold. I kept thinking of the saying "too stupid to come in out of the rain." That didn't give me high hopes for her intelligence. Lately when it has rained, her coat is dry so I think she must have learned that going into her stall is a fine thing. I have to hand it to her through, she never goes to the bathroom in her stall - it's used only for eating - so it sure is nice not to have to be pushing the wheelbarrow around and cleaning the stall. Way to go, Piper!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your new horse! And especially an Appaloosa! Oh my, I adore Appys so much, and think they're just wonderful. We've had many throughout the years, and currently have 3 in the family. Wouldn't trade them for a million bucks! :) Of course, I have to admit to being an animal lover of pretty much all kinds...we also have a TB, a wild-born Mustang and a QH and we love them all. Thank you so much for following my blog, I just noticed and had to come say hello. I was curious if you're an Oregonian? Read your story about the umbrella and thought of our weather. I live in NW Oregon, and yes it rains a lot. *sigh* We've been blessed with a drier and milder winter this year, so musn't complain. Lately we've been having dry, warmer, spring-like weather which is spoiling me totally! I'm loving it, and take pity on so many others across the country who are still deep in the grip of winter's icy fingers. Poor saps! Anyway, welcome! I love getting comments and meeting new people, and especially horsey people who have Appaloosas. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Piper's blog, C-ingspots. We are in SC. Sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesn't. We are always thankful for the rain in the hot summer months when everything here is baking and the plants are seriously in need of water.
    Stop by again!

    ReplyDelete